If you desire the whole goodness of steel cut oats, but are like me and just don’t have it together enough to plan your breakfast the night before, look for these the next time you’re at the grocery store. McCann’s Quick and Easy Steel Cut Oats can be made in about 5 minutes. I don’t know how it works, but it does. Must be magic.
Try them is this delish Oatmeal Brulee recipe if you find them. If you don’t, it’s just as delish with regular oats.
*The microwave instructions say to cook on high power, but mine boil over every time that way. Medium power (50%) works for me, stirring half-way, then letting them sit 2-3 minutes before eating.
*PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT*
DO NOT COOK OATMEAL ON HIGH POWER IN THE MICROWAVE NO MATTER WHAT THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE CARTON SAY! DOING SO WILL RESULT IN ALL SAID OATMEAL BOILING OVER ONTO THE FLOOR OF SAID MICROWAVE LEAVING NOTHING BUT AN EMPTY BOWL AND A MESS.
Unfortunately it has taken me too long to get this into my head, but I think I’ve finally learned my lesson after three tries yesterday. Sad, I know.
But this Banana Nut Oatmeal Brulee is so delicious, it makes it all worthwhile. Oatmeal with bananas, walnuts, and dark brown sugar is broiled briefly to create a yummy sugar crust on top, and when you stir it up all that molasses-y goodness gets mixed in. What a fabulous way to counteract the two sticks of butter in the brownies you made yesterday (more on that later).
Banana Nut Oatmeal Brulee
- one serving of oatmeal (preferably whole or steel cut oats), prepared per package instructions*
- 1/4 medium banana
- 1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped (toasted if desired)
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Spoon oatmeal into ovenproof bowl.
- Slice banana into 1/4 inch rounds and spread on top of oatmeal. Sprinkle on walnuts. Spread brown sugar evenly over everything.
- Place bowl in oven and broil until sugar is melted, about 2-4 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
*If using microwave, cook on medium (50%) power, stirring halfway.
Printer Friendly Recipe