Are you looking for a new way to brighten up your morning? This recipe will do just that. Turkish Eggs are eggs that are poached and served with garlicky yogurt and topped with warm oil or butter infused with paprika. Use your favorite paprika in this – sweet, smoked or hot for extra special flavor. Savor the last of it with some warm flatbread or pita if you like.
makes 1 serving
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp olive oil or butter, or combination of both
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- fresh mint or parsley, torn for garnish
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a small bowl, mix yogurt with minced garlic. Season with salt then set aside.
- Fill a small saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to bring to a simmer, and add vinegar. Crack egg into a small bowl, stir simmering water in circles until swirling, then gently pour egg into the pan in the same direction as the water is moving. Keep water at a gentle simmer and cook egg for 3-4 minutes for soft yolk and 5-6 for firm yolk. Remove egg with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- Pour water out of the saucepan and wipe dry. Return to heat and add oil/butter. When warm, add paprika and stir for about a minute. Remove pan from heat.
- Spread garlic yogurt on a plate and top with poached egg. Drizzle paprika oil/butter over egg. Sprinkle with mint or parsley, and season with salt and pepper.
4 thoughts on “Brighten Your Day Turkish Eggs”
Oh my goodness… Turkish eggs, where have you been all my life? 🙂
My only wish is that I could somehow reach through the monitor to dip a piece of toasted pita into that gooey, runny egg yolk. It’s totally calling my name.
This really sounds and looks delicious! Would love to give it a try!
We don’t eat these for breakfast in Turkey. It is more of a lunch or dinner thing.
I like that idea a lot. I love eggs any time of day anyway!