I have a dream. To live on the side of a Greek island overlooking the beautiful sea, where I can walk or bike all over the town making stops at market stalls to buy fresh produce and seafood all year long. The ocean waves would lull me to sleep at every night.
Maybe in another life. For today, I’ll have to pacify myself by making My Favorite Greek Salad. Probably not authentic, but close enough for me. This salad is so very easy, but so very delicious, and perfect as a main course or appetizer size before a meal.
My Favorite Greek Salad
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- large pinch kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 10 cups romaine lettuce, chopped, washed and dried
- 1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium cucumber, chopped into large chunks
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 8-12 pepperoncini peppers
- In a large salad bowl combine the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, salt, and pepper to taste. Whisk with a fork or small whisk until combined.
- Add remaining ingredients except pepperoncini peppers to the bowl and toss with hands or salad servers.
- Divide salad between bowls and serve with peppers on the side. Top with additional black pepper, if desired.