Long live the public library. I have to say I’m really surprised they are still around. I mean, letting people take books home, for free – who still does things like that?
I must admit, though, that there is nothing much I like better than a brand new book from the bookstore. But being an avid reader, I have grown a little devil-person on my shoulder who whispers to me about those books on the shelf that I won’t ever read again.
So, I have gotten a library card for me and my children so they can learn about the joys of going to the library and checking out any book they want. And lo and behold, I discovered I can get cookbooks there, too. Now that really put the public library back on my list. To be able to take a cookbook home, really look it over, and try a few of the recipes to find out if it is worth buying or not – that makes it worth dealing with the militant library ladies.
This gorgeous sandwich comes from Emeril’s new cookbook, Emeril at the Grill. The book is full of lots of great grilling recipes, Emeril-style (i.e., lots of bam), and this sandwich with its layers of ciabatta bread filled with tons of grilled vegetables, slathered with an herb goat cheese spread, and drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette is no exception. The other recipes I tried were terrific, also, and this one has been added to the ever-growing list of cookbooks I’d like to add to my own library.
Grilled Vegetable and Goat Cheese Sandwich
adapted from Emeril at the Grill, Emeril Lagasse
makes about 6 sandwiches
- 1 large eggplant, ends trimmed, cut into 1/3 inch-thick rounds
- 4 bell peppers of assorted colors, cored, seeded, and cut into quarters
- 2 medium red onions cut into 1/2 inch-thick rounds
- 1 large zucchini, cut on the diagonal into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 1 large yellow squash, cut on the diagonal into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces soft, mild goat cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 loaf ciabatta, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- balsamic vinaigrette (store-bought or your favorite recipe)
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Brush vegetables with 1/2 cup olive oil and place on large baking sheet or platter. Season with kosher salt and black pepper to taste. Grill vegetables, in batches if necessary, until lightly charred on edges and nicely marked on both sides, about 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer grilled vegetables to platter and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together goat cheese, garlic, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and basil until smooth.
- Spread a generous amount of cheese mixture on one side of a piece of bread, top with a layer of vegetables, and spoon about a tablespoon of balsamic vinaigrette over the top. Add another layer of bread, cheese mixture, vegetables and vinaigrette. Top with one more piece of bread.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.