Even though it’s origins are in New York, cream cheese is something the South has embraced as one of it’s favorite ingredients to elevate a recipe from really good to heavenly. Think carrot or red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting, or any other kind of layer cake, cupcake or sheet cake for that matter. Think cream cheese pound cake, brownies, or pumpkin roll. Think cheese balls and cream cheese dips of endless variations, and meat or vegetable casseroles. Even cream cheese fruit and jello salads. Throw some cream cheese in it and call it DUUN!
That’s why when I saw this recipe for Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies, I took it straight into the kitchen to make right away. The idea of a cream cheese peanut butter filling sandwiched between two humble but always surprisingly delicious peanut butter cookies was just irresistible. And boy did they taste irresistible. Very rich and over the top, and just right with a glass of milk.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Creamy Peanut Butter Filling, see below
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets.
2. Beat together first 3 ingredients and 1/2 cup granulated sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Stir in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl. Slowly stir flour mixture into peanut butter mixture until fully incorporated.
3. Scoop dough onto prepared cookie sheets, 1 rounded tablespoonful at a time, about 2 inches apart. (Dough should yield about 24 cookies.) Press cookies flat with the back of a fork dipped into remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Sprinkle cookies with any remaining sugar, if desired, and bake 12 minutes or until golden brown around edges. Remove from oven, and cool 5 minutes on pan; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. Spread about 1 tablespoon Creamy Peanut Butter Filling onto flat side of 12 cookies, and top each with another cookie, flat side down, to make a sandwich.
makes 1 cup
- 2 (3-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 5 tablespoons powdered sugar
Beat all ingredients until smooth.